quarta-feira, fevereiro 11, 2004

the smiths - 20 anos


Em Fevereiro de 1984 é editado o primeiro LP dos The Smiths, intitulado The Smiths. Começava o percurso da banda de músicas perfeitas, criadores das canções que salvaram a nossa vida (não é assim, LR?)
Qualquer elogio aos The Smiths e à importância que tiveram e têm nos melhores momentos da vida de cada um de nós (de quem, como eu, os incorporou na própria vida) será sempre incompleto e débil. Muitos bloguistas sabem do que estou a falar.
À semelhança do blog sobre Kleist e do Klepsýdra, elenco aqui, por ordem cronológica, as minhas 12 músicas preferidas dos The Smiths - as melhores músicas dos anos '80, as melhores músicas do século XX:

REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN
Fifteen minutes with you
Oh, I wouldn't say no
Oh, people see no worth in you
Oh, but I do


STILL ILL
Does the body rule the mind
Or does the mind rule the body ?
I dunno...

(...)
And if you must, go to work - tomorrow
Well, if I were you I really wouldn't bother
For there are brighter sides to life
And I should know, because I've seen them
But not often...



THIS CHARMING MAN
A jumped-up pantry boy
Who never knew his place
He said "
return the rings"
He knows so much about these things


HOW SOON IS NOW?
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

(...)
There's a club, if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go, and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home, and you cry
And you want to die.


HEAVEN KNOWS I'M MISERABLE NOW
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
But heaven knows I'm miserable now
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now



WHAT SHE SAID
What she said :
"
How come someone hasn't noticed
That I'm dead
And decided to bury me?
God knows, I'm ready!"

WELL I WONDER
Well I wonder
Do you hear me when you sleep ?
I hoarsely cry

(...)
Gasping - dying - but somehow still alive
This is the final stand of all I am
Please keep me in mind



THE QUEEN IS DEAD
Life is very long, when you're lonely
Life is very long, when you're lonely


I KNOW IS OVER
I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real
And you even spoke to me, and said:
"
If you're so funny
Then why are you on your own tonight ?
And if you're so clever
Then why are you on your own tonight ?
If you're so very entertaining
Then why are you on your own tonight ?
If you're so very good-looking
Why do you sleep alone tonight ?
I know...
'Cause tonight is just like any other night
That's why you're on your own tonight
With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each other's arms..."
(...)
Love is Natural and Real
But not for you, my love
Not tonight, my love


THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE
The boy with the thorn in his side
Behind the hatred there lies
A murderous desire for love
How can they look into my eyes
And still they don't believe me?

(...)
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?


THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT
And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure and the privilege is mine



LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
Last night I dreamt
That somebody loved me
No hope, no harm
Just another false alarm

CC

Comments: Enviar um comentário

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?